Saturday, October 11, 2008

"Shouldn't you be in school?"

I love Diane Hopkins' answer to this question!
Her web site is http://www.lovetolearn.net/ and her homeschooling catalog is one of my favorites!

Diane's answer:
"The question will certainly come to you as you are out and about with kids during the school day. Know that your children will soak up your attitude. I never try to hide the fact that I home school from anyone, from the librarian to the store clerk. I volunteer the information and follow it up with how blessed we feel! I am on my own one-person campaign to change the world's perspective of homeschoolers!
When someone asks my kids why they aren't in school, I jump in and answer for them (as I think it is unfair for others to impose their prejudice on my children) and I say, "We are so lucky because we home school, and have so much fun together! We love it and are learning so much!" and the kids look up and smile. Or, I say, "We home school and I feel so happy to be with my best friends learning—they are so smart! And they teach me so much!" As my children have grown, I hear them answering in a similar way to those awkward questions, and expressing their enjoyment of being home schooled. It is really hard for people to have a hurtful comeback to that kind of confidence and enthusiasm. Attitude really is everything!"


Isn't that great?I love the part about adding how blessed we feel!
I think that attitude will help my own kiddos who sometimes feel self conscious if we are "out and about" during school hours.

~Becky

No comments: