Monday, January 12, 2009

How yawning reminds us of George Washington


My youngest kiddos and I are starting a unit study on George Washington and we are using his
Rules of Civility and Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation (that's a mouthful isn't it?) for some handwriting practice. We copy a couple a day. Apparently, there are 110 rules he copied in his youth.
Because of this we all now think of the Father of our Country every time we yawn.
Weird, huh? Here's one of the rules we looked at the other day:

"If you cough, sneeze, sigh or yawn, do it not loud but privately, and speak not in your yawning, but put your handkerchief or hand before your face and turn aside."

I have never noticed until now, how often I try to speak in my yawns!!! Oh my goodness...
I'll have to work on that!
Just posting this is making me yawn...
Time to call it a day!

~Becky

No comments: